Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Buehler? Buehler?

Power Line - Reagan and Taxes: "Second, many conservatives were not happy with Reagan for this in 1967. In fact he was booed at an opening day major league baseball game in the spring. But the hit Reagan took proved evanescent for several reasons, but the main one is that over the long run everyone could see whose side Reagan was on, and whose side his opponents were on. When the state budget accumulated a large surplus in Reagan's second term, he wanted to give the whole surplus back to the taxpayers, which liberals revealingly called 'an unwarranted expenditure of public funds,' since they truly believe all your money belongs to them. As Reagan said in a speech at the time, 'I want you to know that I am just a frightened of government, even though I am now a part of it, as I have been these many years, and I believe being frightened and concerned with the growth of government is legitimate.' The tax bill he was forced to adopt, he underscored, 'does not represent my philosophy of government. I still think the government of California costs the people of California too much.' Query for Robinson: can he find me one Democrat--just one, anywhere--Buehler, Buehler??--who talks like that about government."
This is a RTWT.