Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Missing Steve

AP NewsAlert: "AP (AP) - _ Apple says Steve Jobs has died "
It seems that yet another greedy, heartless capitalist has died. At least, that's what all those on the left will say ... well at least those who didn't worship him as a God in place of the more traditional one.

Me, I will just remember him as a creative force in computing. And one of the team who brought to life my first personal computer: an Apple IIe. And someone who then found a way to make Alan Kay's Dynabook vision come true ... whether Alan himself believes it or not...

That's how old I am.

Though of course I never met Steve, I'll share one recent anecdote I heard slightly out-of-school from my tech contacts. It turns out that when Intel was trying to get Apple signed up to work with them on their new "Light Peak" technology, the Intel team went into a meeting with Apple with a list of Intel-approved names for the variant they wanted Apple to work with them on.

Thunderbolt wasn't on their list.

Steve was a Thunderbolt.